Monday 13 January 2020

Gym


I was the kind who hated gym. Why would someone want to use machines to work out? A walk in the park or a zumba/aerobics session would do for me, was what I used to tell myself. But then, it never happened. So like I mentioned earlier, I started my fitness after injury with walking, which slowly progressed to fast walking/jogging on the treadmill in our apartment gym. When one fine day, the only treadmill that used to work, also broke down, I gave up walking too. After a couple of weeks, KK pushed me to use the local gym membership. He had taken it long back which included family membership.  Thats how I stepped into a gym. Looking back, I don't know why I hated it - I guess it was the fear of the unknown. For almost a year, I did the cardio workouts only - scared to try the weights.

Thats when a new trainer came in and asked me to give weight training a try. With much reluctance, I started. I so remember the first time lying down on a tiny table trying to lift the tiniest of weights - it was the first bench press. I couldn't bring myself up on my own and there was nothing to hold on to. Turning to any side would definitely throw me off the narrow bench. After a while, the trainer came back wondering why I was still on the bench. Well, he finally helped me get off it. Thats one more thing to learn at the gym - feeling embarrassed every other day and then finally getting over it. Fumbling around a machine trying to adjust the height and asking the next guy for the nth time how to do it, huffing and puffing with a 2kg dumbbell standing next to someone who is casually pumping 20kg are all part of gym life. Although I am nowhere near the strength I should be for someone who regularly hits the gym - I am far better off from where I started. For starters, I can get myself off the tiny bench on my own now :)

This one habit has motivated me to try new habits and to believe in myself. Hoping to stick to it for longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gym

I was the kind who hated gym. Why would someone want to use machines to work out? A walk in the park or a zumba/aerobics session would do ...