Thursday 3 January 2019

Learning sarcasm

From the drafts..

This happened a couple of years ago. Sid had started primary school and was just getting used to the new class.

One day he came back from school and declared he doesn't understand the teachers anymore. After a lot of nudging, out came the story.

That day, when his science teacher walked in to the class, the children were loud and not seated. She was annoyed and told them - "Only those who are interested in studying need stay in the class, the rest of you can leave".

I am sure a lot of us can relate to hearing this.

My little boy, seated in the front row,  closes the book and (loudly) says, "Oh wow! I anyway don't like this class". He got ready to step out - as suggested by the teacher.

You can very well imagine the after effects of this response.  Poor Sid, he was left confused as to why the teacher was angry when he was only following her advice!

I couldn't stop laughing when I heard this incident!

Later on, I explained to him that it was a "sarcastic" way of talking. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Gym

I was the kind who hated gym. Why would someone want to use machines to work out? A walk in the park or a zumba/aerobics session would do ...